January 06, 2022.
The Japanese cult classic; Katsu Curry with an aromatic curry sauce has been veganised. Serve with pillowy jasmine Rice and Fresh vegetables for a refreshing yet wholesome dish. Enjoy our Biona recipes.
All Biona Organic ingredients are available at all Quay Co-op shops in Ireland.
For the Tofu:
- 35g plain flour
- 1 jar Biona Organic Tofu (drained and pressed)
- 60ml Biona Organic Oat Drink
- 80g corn flakes
For the Curry Sauce:
- ½ white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into 0.5cm rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons Biona Organic Coconut Cream
- 150g Biona Organic Brown Jasmine Rice
- 2 handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- 1 spring onion
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- To press the tofu, place it on a tea towel and place a weight, such as a plate, on top. Leave it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- On a small plate combine the flour with generous pinches of salt and pepper. Transfer the milk to another separate plate with raised edges. Pour the cornflakes into a tea towel and crush them with a rolling pin until fine, then transfer to a third separate plate.
- Slice the tofu into 1cm thick slices, then coat all over in the flour mixture, then dunk fully in the milk and cover all over in the crushed cornflakes.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and once hot, add the tofu slices and fry for 2-3 mins on each side, until crispy. Then transfer the tofu slices to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the onion and carrots to the frying pan you used earlier (add an extra splash of olive oil if needed) and fry for 7 minutes on a medium heat.
- Peel and dice the garlic, then add it to the frying pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala and plain flour to the pan, and fry for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of coconut cream into the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water until it’s smooth and runs off of a spoon.
- To serve, place a portion of rice into each bowl with a handful of mixed salad leaves, then pour in half the sauce for each portion and top with a few slices of the tofu.
- To finish, slice the spring onion thinly and sprinkle over each serving. Enjoy!
Leave A Comment